Monday, November 06, 2006

Pied Piper Davis

I think I’ve caught a member of the wee faerie folk, and I’m not letting go until I get the secret directions to the promised land. So far I’ve discovered that the faerie grotto ain’t what it used to be and that jazz, industrial and funk can be transmuted into gold.

I hang on tight, slip on my headphones, crank up the volume, and put on my visionary goggles. A few beats in I start to see...


To the east a shining citadel. To the north miles upon miles of undisturbed forest. I find myself turning to the west and hear…

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don't go back to sleep.You must ask for what you really want. Don't go back to sleep. People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open. Don't go back to sleep.
- Mawlānā Jalāl ad-Dīn Rumi (1207-1273CE)

Into tantra? Technological revolutions? Ancient Sufi mystical secrets? How about springing your life force into action to a bass beat driver from the depths of digital machinations? From Mexican machiadoras, to Tunguskan factories clearing out cobwebs that have been gathering dust for decades, factory workers, commission slaves and overtime managers with bent backs take notice.

The Lotus Land diva of emancipation is here.


Piper Davis is one of the people at the doorsill. She’s just arrived from the bus stop, having returned bearing songs from some strange industrial Shangri-La. Wont you let her in? Even the mica-like dust from the road on her shoes has stories to tell. She weaves some of her mantras with rudimentary technologies, but they still spring to life with the uncanny magic of a troubadour.

From minimal lyrics that later blossom to realizations in your mind, to churning and snappy beats that knead and pop your base chakra open, it is evident that Sarasvati has sailed down upon her hamsa and blessed this woman-child with the mind of a composer AND galvanized Pipes, capital P. Don’t get me wrong. You are not going to find traditional bells and gongs with Piper. No new age la la la. No no no. As revealed in her pieces like “Bus Stop” this is absolutely, and even icily (between steamy grooves), modern. Industrial meets prana meets sugar popping candy. Yet somehow, her self produced iron-toed boot walking beats have evidently traveled.

The beats of this diva also talk about once meeting Silvia Plath’s daddy, and falling down hard. But then, it's right back up again, taking the boots back, and marching out in search of swallows, butterflies and men who make you moan in a different kind of way… And whoa, has she ever found one (i.e. in “Nothing at all”)! This is Björk after rehab.

I have had the good fortune of Piper sending me a demo with a couple of new pieces, “The decades” and “You wouldn’t surprise me”, that sound like they were mastered with crisper engineering than her tunes up on MySpace. All I can say is, “Oh, soooo nice," as I float to the floor. SNAP! Crackle! Plug me in for more.

---
Please click on Piper's MySpace page for more information and to hear and download songs.

Please let us know what you think of her music below under comments.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable!!
You are incredible. What a writer. I don’t even know what to say.
Thank you for this review. It was so much more than I expected and what a huge voice you have with your words!
The thing I am attracted to most is squeezing opposites together until they meld into each other in unexpected ways. I’m obsessed with it in every part of life. I never expected any one to actually pick that up.
WOW!
It feels really good just to be heard in the world at all and I’m so lucky to sing, but to be understood that fundamentally...that’s something I never even thought I could ask for.
Thank you so much for your kindness and sensitive perception
Piper

9:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home